Happy 4th of July Week everyone! This week is going to be a grilling sensation in my house and I have to make some things that’ll compliment all the delicious meat and vegetables that’ll be passed around the table. A cake was definitely being made, and I experimented around because I really wanted something light, sweet, and packed full of flavor. Not to mention, we can’t go around having dry as a desert…dessert, can we?
Well, blueberries and lime come together in this for a delicious sweet and tart combination that balances itself out with just the right amount of acidity. Each bite comes together just perfectly, leaving only a few fresh blueberries at the top for that extra kick of sweetness and the blueberry extract to bring the taste while mellowing out the flavor profile at the end. The cream cheese that we add to the cake seals the deal. It makes the cake SO moist that it almost falls apart in your mouth…who said everything has to be dry on keto?
So, what are you going to be doing for July 4th? Let us all know your keto recipes and idea for this upcoming holiday in the comments below! I’m going to be setting up station, throwing a heck of a lot of steak on the grill, and serving up meat with bacon wrapped asparagus for July 4th. Dessert? Well, you know exactly what dessert will be!
Yields 2 Cakes, 10 Slices in Total
- 1 cup Honeyville Almond Flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons blueberry extract
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- ¼ cup NOW Erythritol
- ¼ teaspoon liquid Stevia
- Zest 1 lime
- Juice 1 lime
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Separate the 5 eggs into 5 egg yolks in one container and 5 egg whites in the other.
3. Measure out 2 tbsp. Salted Butter and 1/4 cup Cream Cheese. Set aside for the time being.
4. Using a hand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they’re pale in color.
6. Add Zest of 1 Lime and Juice of 1 Lime to the egg yolks (Save about 2 tsp. Lime Juice). Beat again until smooth.
7. Sift dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. You can just use a mesh colander to do this if you’re lazy like me 🙂
8. Mix the dry ingredients well into the wet ingredients.
9. Beat the egg whites with the 2 tsp. Lime Juice until stiff peaks form. Then, fold the egg whites into the mixture.
10. Pour the batter into your loaf or cake pans, then top with 1/4 cup Blueberries. You can get these awesome disposable cake pans from Target (Threshhold Brand).
11. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until you can cleanly remove a toothpick from the cake.
12. Let cool and serve!
This makes 2 whole cakes in total, which makes 10 slices in total. Each slice will have 132.2 Calories, 10.69g Fats, 2.66g Net Carbs, and 5.84g Protein.
|Blueberry Lime July 4thCake||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 cup (112 g) almond flour||640||56||24||12||12||24|
|2 tablespoons coconut flour||50||3||8||6||2||2|
|1 teaspoon baking powder||2||0||1.27||0||1.27||0|
|5 large eggs||358||23.77||1.8||0||1.8||31.4|
|2 teaspoons blueberry extract||24||0.01||1.06||0||1.06||0.01|
|¼ cup fresh blueberries||21||0.12||5.36||0.9||4.46||0.27|
|¼ cup cream cheese||9||0.86||0.14||0||0.14||0.15|
|2 tablespoons salted butter||204||23.04||0.02||0||0.02||0.24|
|¼ cup erythritol||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|¼ teaspoon liquid Stevia||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Zest 1 lime||3||0.02||0.96||0.6||0.36||0.09|
|Juice 1 lime||11||0.03||3.7||0.2||3.5||0.18|